Thursday 26 March 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 37 - Making a Start


This is the sum total of my free motion quilting this week - one leaf and a few swirls.  I am making version 2 of the red and cream crib quilt I made a couple of weeks ago, but this time in shades of pink.


The pink is in shades reminiscent of raspberry ice cream, and this print has little curled leaves similar to the swirls I like quilting to fill in empty space between stems.  Before starting the free motion work, I quilted straight lines down the strip of squares to batten down the seam allowances, which have a habit of bumping up after quilting.


It has been a rather hectic week.  This was the state of my sewing corner last Friday when the window fitters were at work, with dust sheets covering the book shelf on the right, and the 15K treadle on the left.  All the hand machines are hiding behind the curtains beneath the counter, and when it came to cleaning up earlier this week, I ended up hauling them out to look them over.  I took out my 1927 Singer 99K to test it for straight line quilting, and it passed with flying colours. Perhaps the pressure on the foot is adjusted to the ideal level, but for some reason none of the other machines do such a good job.

So after a very unquilty week, I am looking forward to seeing everyone else's projects.



blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg



Here goes for week 37...

Many thanks to Quilt Musings, Maartje, Carole, Hilary, Katy, Julie, Myra, LeeAnna, Sophie and Andree for linking up last time.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Angie's blog A Quilting Reader's Garden for WIPs Be Gone
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday.

7 comments:

  1. So glad I found your blog; can't wait to see more of your FMQ. Love it! I will be looking at some of your past blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry your new windows are interfering with your quilting, but I'm sure you'll be so happy with them when they are done. I love the pinks on your new crib quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with your sewing room renovations! Looks like a lot of work. Your note about your Singer reminded me... I posted a photo last week of one of my 2 early Singers http://thirdfloorquilts.blogspot.com/2015/03/discovering-vintage-quilts-my-own.html?m=1
    This one was probably purchased around 1930s. I have had it for years but only recently opened it up. One day I need to get it cleaned and put in order. You posts are an inspiration for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I've nipped over to your blog to see your machine. I hope you can get it up and running and try some FMQ on it.

      Delete
  4. That's some beautiful free motion quilting! Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Muv, it may have been only one leaf and swirls but what a leaf and swirls! We can only do what we can. Yesterday I spent a couple of hours figuring out how to MFQ butterflies. In the end I got it and it took me 2 hours to quilt my wall hanging. I didn't dare stop in case I could never do it the same way again!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...