Friday 18 February 2022

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 369 - Planning Pays Off


Now that the marmalade season has just about finished, I am getting back to work on the wedding quilt.  These are the three colours that I am using for the backing, with the gold fabric I have set aside for the binding on the left.  Yesterday I cut out the last of the pieces ready for the sandwiches.  It was quite an adjustment, picking up again from where I left off, after abandoning the project for a while.  Fortunately, I have planned this quilt with uncharacteristic efficiency.


This is how I started, with these little squares representing the nine main blocks.  I coloured them in, with a different colour for each of the fabrics I was going to use, making each block different.  Then I spent an hour and a half at least arranging them like puzzle pieces to make sure the colours were evenly distributed across the whole quilt.  The writing on the back corresponds with which way up the block is placed, and notes all the fabrics to be used and the colour of the backing.


Once I had pieced the nine central blocks I planned the border and corner blocks.

The amazing thing is not just that I have drawn up plans for this quilt, but also that they weren't on scrappy backs of envelopes and that I haven't lost them.  I have even kept the sheets of paper where I was working out the cutting plan for the backing fabrics, which I had miscalculated when buying them because two of the fabrics were narrower than the first one I chose.  That piece of paper also has marmalade calculations on it, how much sugar for the weight of fruit, and just about sums up my creative life over the past few months.

Is it still realistic to hope for a finish by Easter?  Let's see...


 Here goes for Week 369:-


Many thanks to Gretchen for linking up with her Circle of Squares quilt.  If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more.

 


If you have no free motion quilting to show, feel free to link up and show any project you like.  Here are the usual rules, but feel free to ignore them.  To keep the original emphasis, however, preference will be given to free motion quilting when featuring projects from the previous week.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post.

3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for five days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Tuesday.


So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia, Ireland, Brazil and Sweden have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Muv, isn't it wonderful when the planning works out...and you actually have all of the pieces (I'm also really good at mislaying my pieces of paper!) Since you won't be making more marmalade and I suspect that gardening season won't be here soon (although I may be wrong), hopefully you'll be able to finish up the quilt by Easter. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrée, with all the windy weather I think gardening might have to wait, but at this time of year anything can happen! The fact that Easter is fairly late this year might help.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your quilt completed - those coloured fabrics look rich.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...