Thursday 21 April 2022

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 377 - An Old Favourite

Everything about this little bit of quilting took me back a few years.  The red and maroon striped fabric is the same as a length I bought back in 2012, and also the quilting pattern, which I devised back in 2014; initially I called it fancy leaves, and later on I christened it Jacobean leaves when I made a video for Youtube.


I used the same design again on the yellow and grey stripe.  The zigzags show up well against the stripes, which I was pleased about.  Of all the fabrics in the quilt, I think this is the one that is the most difficult when it comes to deciding on a quilting design and a thread colour.  The design has to be sufficiently bold to stand out against the stripes, and not too complicated, otherwise it could all look too confusing. 


This variegated thread worked well.  I thought the sharp contrast in the colours - blue, green, yellow and maroon - might not be too easy on the eye, but as it turned out it was perfect, blending in not only with the yellow and grey stripes, but also with the scrappy strips.

This week I finally managed to get all the potatoes planted at the allotment, so over the next month or so I should have more time for quilting!


Update There's a bit of confusion this week - Andrée and I have both put up a linky.  I didn't see her post until after I had published this one.  I'll leave this linky up and see what happens.  This is the first time we have both managed to post the linky in the same week, which isn't bad considering how long we have been co-hosting.


Here goes for Week 377:-

Many thanks to Karin for linking up last time with her background texture improvisation.  If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more.

 



If you have no free motion quilting to show, feel free to link up and show any project you like.  Here are the usual rules, but feel free to ignore them.  To keep the original emphasis, however, preference will be given to free motion quilting when featuring projects from the previous week.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post.

3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for five days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Tuesday.


So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia, Ireland, Brazil and Sweden have taken part.  The 
first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

4 comments:

  1. Wow - that is intense quilting by Karin - beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, isn't it? I love the way she more or less made it up as she went along.

      Delete
  2. Hi Muv, that is wonderful FMQ. I love the design and how it looks with the thread. Yupe, it seems that we both posted. Since I don't have anything original on my post (I'm slowly feeling better), I can post next week if you want. It's entirely up to you. Have a great week and I hope that you have a chance to visit our show. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrée, Just had a quick visit to the show - there's so much there! I shall have to put some time aside this weekend to really enjoy it. Get well soon!

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...