Saturday 4 August 2012

Vintage Machine Appliqué - Stage 3




The purple is now trimmed approximately an eighth of an inch from the stitching  and the edge finished with blanket stitch.  It is best to trim a little at a time to reduce the risk of fraying.  For the blanket stitch I have been using four strands of stranded embroidery cotton.  With the blanket stitch you can either use a contrasting colour for decorative effect, as I have here, or a colour to blend in with the appliqué shape. 

So there it is - easy!  If anyone gives this method a try, please let me know how you get on!

4 comments:

  1. 10 out of 10 for the neatest blanket stitch ..... ingenious applique .....x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi
    What a lovely way of of adding applique! I'd never thought of trying that but now I'd love to give it a go.
    Popping over from Lily's quilts small blog meet, have followed you x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Shelley,

    Lovely to see you! I've just sent you a message - I haven't a clue how to do all this links business. You are a cleverer girl than I am.

    Love Muv

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your posts on the pinecone applique -- I found it thru Bing images. I'm planning to do pinecone corners on some window curtains - Arts & Crafts style. Your idea will be helpful to me. Thank you for posting it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...