Wednesday 29 August 2012

A Quick and Easy Project in a Polish Book




We were rummaging around Bogusia's bookshelf and my husband pulled out a paperback for me.  It was filled with line drawings showing dressmaking techniques, embroidery stitches, crochet, knitting, macramé and everything else you might expect to see.

Then on page 201 I stumbled on the project so many people have been searching for - How to Make a Car Cosy.  

Well it can't be that hard, can it?  Just two little illustrations and a page of explanation packed to bursting with zeds, you can just work it our for yourself.  It's a loose cover for a settee only a slightly different shape.  Just think of the possibilities.  Why stick to a boring olive green waterproof fabric? Go for the English country house look in floral chintz with a ruffled valance, or be sophisticated and use a regency stripe with box pleats and piped seams.  Otherwise, try a more updated version in 1970s oranges and pinks, or a children's special with appliquéd passengers waving from the windows.

We told Bogusia she and I had to get busy on her machine the very next day.  I still can't understand why we never got started.

Next time you are scouring second hand bookshops, look out for Roboty i Robotki na Zimowe Wieczory by Stanislawa Podgorska, published in Warsaw in 1979.  A must for your vintage bookshelf.

2 comments:

  1. I think I have that one already......:)
    have you seen yarnbombing on cars ? I think this maybe a prototype for this ......
    http://www.blog.islandcowgirl.com/2011/03/yarn-bombing-101.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Artymess, I've just had a quick look. Completely nuts. Ideal for giant sized needles and nasty synthetics.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...