Wednesday, 9 October 2013
Making a Sewing Machine Cover - Stage 4
The final stage - putting on the binding. Once the lining was inside the outer shell of the cover I secured the two layers together with a line of stitching about an eighth of an inch from the edge.
Because the outer shell is a fraction bigger than the lining, I used large hand sewn running stitches to gather in the slight fullness before doing the machine stitching at the edge. Fortunately there was very little discrepancy in size between the two layers - had I needed to I would have done an extra line of machining, as I did with the tea cosy.
After that it was an easy job putting on the binding. The African print had a narrow border, and there was enough for me to use as the binding with only an inch and a half to spare.
Here is the completed cover with the Singer 201K treadle hiding underneath. I am actually going to use it on the 15K treadle, but the 201K treadle had to stand in to do the modelling job because the 15K is surrounded by sewing room chaos.
And this photo is of the 15K hand machine hiding underneath - entirely appropriate because this is the machine that did all the work on the cover except for the free motion quilting. Because I used the dimensions of the bentwood cover of this machine for the measurements when cutting the panels, the cover fits snugly around the base.
Welcome to Kelly Hughes, the latest follower - thank you for joining!
Even though it is Wednesday, this post is being linked up to Show and Tell Tuesday - lots more projects to see there...