Friday 21 March 2014

Free Motion Clouds


Clouds are gathering in Freemotionland.

I didn't realise how much the weather could affect the imagination until last week.  We had thick fog for two days solid and I dashed out to buy quilting threads in several shades of grey.  Then we had beautiful clear weather and I started quilting clouds in the sky.



And in the past few days I have realised how often I see church towers in the distance. 

As for the trees reflected in water, after seeing flooding on the news for weeks on end this winter, I did wonder if I was doing a picture of flooded fields rather than an actual lake. 

Once I have finished the sky I shall have to think about the foreground.  I'm not sure that I will manage to keep the sense of perspective, but if it doesn't work I'm not too worried.  I can just slice off the bottom and keep the landscape starting in the middle distance.



It is really enjoyable seeing how all the different coloured threads work together.  I have never been tempted to make postcard size pieces of work until now.

Linking up today with Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
And Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday.

Leah frequently warns about getting your position and posture right so you don't strain your arms and shoulders when free motion quilting.  Guess who has got an aching left arm.  This project is being completed a bit at a time for more than one reason...

4 comments:

  1. Muv, this just gets more beautiful and inspiring every week. Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your thread painting. Isn't it interesting how our subconscious comes out as we are creating. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...