Wednesday 24 January 2018

The Osborne Bull


One of the sights that I remember from my first visits to Spain when I was a child - a great big black bull looming over the landscape.  I was young enough to think it was real, just for a second or two.

This delightful quilt was hanging next to my stitched field at the Where in the World exhibition.  I roared with laughter when I saw it.  Unmistakeably Spain, in fabric.


The black silhouette of the Osborne Bull stands proudly at the top of a distant hill.


In the best naïve tradition it dwarfs the turbines of the wind farm on the hill in front of it.


It is a dry landscape, so the hills are bare, with just a few scrubby bushes...


... a tangle of weedy plants with some yellow flowers at the roadside...


...and also some tall grasses.

This is such a life-like scene of a Spanish road that I almost expect to see a few smashed hub caps in the verge.


Instead we see stones and a signature - M. Capper.

This quilt was up for auction, I put in a bid, and was thrilled when I heard that I had won.  Soon it will be hanging on the wall here at home.

Thank you Marion!

3 comments:

  1. What a treasure! I'm glad you won! I can picture that same bull and the more modern addition of wind turbines. I miss Spain and must go back pronto! What exquisite quilting by M. Capper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! It was fate that you end up with this quilt, I think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on winning the bull quilt. Now you will be able to remember that visit to Spain, every time you pass the quilt.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...