Thursday 7 February 2019

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 215 - River Thames Lap Quilt



Slung over the back of the settee and ready for the next time the weather turns cold, my very first lap quilt!

When I first saw the Thames fabric in the shop I knew it would be a good match for the cushions that I made last year.  When I got it home I was really pleased to see how well they went together.


More difficult was choosing the backing fabric.  I have plenty in my stash, but in all the wrong colours.  There were only two possibilities, so before Christmas I made a decision.  When it came to making the sandwich a couple of weeks ago I promptly changed my mind and plumped for the coffee mugs.  Why do I see them as coffee mugs?  I'm a tea drinker.  It must be the absence of saucers, and the background colour, which is nothing short of perfect.



As for the binding, this tiny black and white check was the obvious choice.  I only had a small piece, no doubt from an oddment bin, just big enough to provide the binding for this quilt with only a tiny bit left over.  I love the way it helps the black outline of the buildings stand out.

This was an easy quilt to make - no piecing, simple quilting, and not too big.  My husband has resisted using it, despite having been under the weather, saying it makes him feel like an old man.  When the temperature drops I shall have no hesitation in demonstrating how to make the most of it.





Here goes for week 215:-

Many thanks to Roseanne for linking up with her beautiful tummy tags quilt.  If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more.

Tummy Tag Finished
If you have no free motion quilting to show, feel free to link up and show any project you like.  Here are the usual rules, but feel free to ignore them.  To keep the original emphasis, however, preference will be given to free motion quilting when featuring projects from the previous week.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia, Ireland and Brazil have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Muv! Wowee - thank you for featuring my tummy time tag quilt. I just love the colors in your River Thames lap quilt. It matches those pillows so darn nicely. And that backing - absolutely coffee mugs - yum - is a perfect color match as well. I have to agree with you that the binding does pull the building outlines out so nice and crisply. Covering with a lap quilt makes one old?? I guess I am way, way old then because I enjoy relaxing underneath one almost every night. I have nothing exciting to share this week - but something soon for a blog hop on the 20th. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice quilt Roseanne! I like the London lap quilt too. Tell your husband you are never too old for wrapping yourself up in a lap quilt. My husband has been snuggled under one when he feels cold (he's 55 now) and I've seen my future son-in-law snuggled in my daughter's quilt - and my daughter took a photo! LOL! I'm working on a top which will become his own! Meanwhile a trip to Taunton on Monday to check out an oak frame company - finally I might get my sewing room with room to breathe without hitting my head on a table when I drop something! Keep warm and dry everyone! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marvelous River Thames quilt. Sigh, we never see the fabric you have across the pond. Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Muv, that's a lovely finish! I'll be featuring it this week :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...