Wednesday 25 July 2012

Vesta Transverse Shuttle


They didn't have to make them beautiful, but they did.  Vesta machines have a charm all their own, being built to a smaller scale and with exquisite decals  If you sit this machine beside a Frister and Rossmann the F&R looks an absolute brute and a monster in comparison.

When I bought this machine it had been in the same family since new.  It barely needed cleaning and seems to have been hardly used.  I bring it out from time to time just for the pleasure of looking at it.  The rest of the time it is kept safely away under its cover, away from all the steam and damp that fill English houses and that would soon have any uncovered machine screaming out for the rust remover.

The decals to me look like mid European peasant embroidery.  If anybody ever comes up with pictures of embroidery reminiscent of the design on this machine, please let me know - I will be intrigued.  I will put some close-up pictures of the decals in posts later this week.

9 comments:

  1. That sure is a beauty! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a C.W. Williams, fiddlebase, hand crank sewing machine made in Montreal. According to Singer it dates 1851-1870. It is missing the shuttle. Can you tell me what kind of shuttle I need? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anonymous,

      Being in England, I am totally unfamiliar with North American machines and cannot help you. If you have looked up the serial number on the Singer website, please bear in mind that they list the numbers of Singer machines only and not other makes.

      Delete
  3. Hi, just got a little vesta, its so beautiful and is in perfect working order, except I think the tension is off and I dont know how to fix it, can you help me please?
    Tal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tal,

      Congratulations on your new machine. Before coming to the conclusion that there is a problem with the tension you have to be absolutely sure that the machine is correctly threaded, and check the needle is correctly set. Then if there is a still a problem, you might need to adjust the tension..

      It is very difficult for me to work out what is going on with your machine without seeing it, but I suggest you watch these three videos in this order:-

      Threading - http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/the-little-vesta.html

      Setting the needle - http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/05/setting-needle.html

      Tension - http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/how-to-adjust-tension-on-long-bobbin.html

      Some of the older Little Vestas took a shorter needle, whereas later ones (like mine) took a standard needle. If your machine came with a short needle I suggest you contact Helen Howes - the link to her website is at the bottom of the page on the right.

      Good luck!

      Muv

      Delete
  4. I bought a little Vesta machine yesterday at a car boot sale but unfortunately it doesn't have it's shuttle or bobbins - other than that apart from being very dusty it seems to be in good condition - any advice please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jill,

      Congratulations on your new machine. For bits and pieces go to Helen Howes's website - link at the bottom of the side bar.

      Good Luck!
      Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...