Thursday 1 November 2012

The Pattern for Little Red Riding Hood


The pattern was on Ebay, so I snaffled it.  Original price sevenpence halfpenny.  A bit steep, I thought. 

The illustration looks very 1920s, and I was delighted to find that the pattern was in near perfect condition.  The pattern pieces were outlined on a large sheet of paper inside, so I traced them and kept the original pattern intact.  

Then I looked for the instructions - there was no instruction sheet, and there was nothing on the back of the sheet of pattern pieces.  Then I found them, printed on the inside of the envelope.  Had I wanted to read them easily I would have had to cut the envelope open and lay it out flat.  No chance, I wasn't going to ruin a beautiful vintage pattern, so I squinted inside to check a couple of things (the shoes had me a bit puzzled for a while) and set to work.

Next came the decision - which machine?  It took me less than ten seconds to decide...

6 comments:

  1. I was curious about the sevenpence half penny cost of the pattern so I "googled" it. In 2007 the exchange rate was $1.60 US. I’m wondering what the rate is today, five years later. I am a new comer to your blog and in the process of working up the courage to bring in a treadle machine that I have had stored in my garage for over 20 years. The weather in Oregon is turning to dreary rain and cold and I figure this would be a good time to get started on the old lady. Thanks for sharing your knowledge of these vintage machines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sue,

    Glad you have been enjoying the blog.

    One has to be British and of a certain age to understand the money. Sevenpence halfpenny is old money, about three and a half pence in new money.

    Bring your machine in as soon as possible. Damp is the greatest enemy of old machines, and Oregon sounds as bad as this country on that score. Just think, you could have a lovely old treadle up and running by Christmas.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, too boring. I was determined to have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 99 Boring! With it's oscillating hook's and auto tension release. Then I have to try the Vesta with transverse bobbin?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Duncan, it had to be a Vesta, but perhaps not the one you were thinking of. All is about to be revealed.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...