Monday 19 November 2012

How the Hopping Foot Works


This is the foot that I use for free motion quilting on the Singer 15K treadle.

The hopping foot has to be put on with the lever in position above the screw of the needle clamp. When sewing the motion of the machine will move the lever up with every stitch.  The spring in the hopping foot will make the lever come back down as the needle goes back down. 



When the lever is down the foot will give light pressure on the work, sufficient for the stitch to form through the layers to be quilted.



When the lever is up the foot is raised so that the work can be moved in any direction you want. 

6 comments:

  1. thank you for this, in your previous post about the free motion foot I couldn't imagine how it would fit on the machine or why it work, now to start tracking one down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Mo,

    If you can't find one in Australia you can always get one from Helen Howes.

    Love,
    Muv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog through http://quiltinggallery.com/quilting-bloggers/
    Thank you for the information about the hopping foot! I acquired one in a box of various feet when I bought a used Singer 15-91 clone and I had no idea what the foot was. Your information is very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Annie,

      I'm glad that mystery is solved for you, and I hope you find plenty more useful information in the blog!

      My hopping foot came in a tin with a few other odds and ends that I found in a second hand shop. The tin and the hopping foot were what I was after.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  4. Hello, what do you use to shine or remove grime on the painted surface of the sewing machines... without harming the decals... thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy,

      Here is your answer
      http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/cleaning-decals-jones-family-cs.html

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...