Thursday 16 May 2013

Day Trip to Malvern for Quilts UK 2013


Today was my first chance to get a picture of the whole of the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt.



It was quite a thrill to see the Judges' Merit rosette attached to it.

There are lots of firsts associated with this quilt - first large quilt with appliqué, first large quilt quilted entirely at home, first quilt made using the quilt-as-you-go method, first quilt show, first ribbon...

When watching Leah Day's videos I remember her saying that to really get to grips with free motion quilting you just need to jump in and do a whole quilt, even if you just use one pattern on the quilt. I'm so glad I took her advice!  The meandering pattern I did gave the quilt an all over texture which set off the colours and shapes of the appliqué in a way I really liked. 

I often wonder whether Leah ever imagined that people would watch her videos and then get started with free motion quilting on a treadle! 

The show is well worth a visit if you can get there.  So many fabulous quilts!  I took loads of photos, but at the moment I'm not sure whether I will be able to post them here.  Show rules...  

Update Friday 17th May

This post is now being linked up to Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday.

Welcome to the latest follower, handMADEina - thank you for joining!

Thank you everyone for your lovely comments!  They are greatly appreciated.

Love, 
Muv

11 comments:

  1. BRAVO Muv!!

    Well done on your wonderful quilt. I am so pleased you got recognition in the form of a ribbon.

    Hugs
    G
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gavin! Perhaps I should pour myself a gin.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  2. Congratulations Muv! :) The quilt is just lovely... m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The quilt is FABULOUS! Congratulations on the ribbon, and I'm sure you'll be able to post the pics after the showing is done. HUGGGGGs LJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done, it looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My warmest congratulations Muv!
    It's such a lovely quilt. I'm so happy for you.

    love,

    Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple elegance - like the Queen, herself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Those are all really exciting firsts! It's lovely and you deserve to be excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard work should always be rewarded. Well done. I bet your chuffed to bit's. What next year??? Love Duncan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well done! It's a beautiful quilt :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...