Friday, 7 June 2013
Teapots Quilt - A Work in (Very Slow) Progress
This is a project I have neglected - I haven't touched it since April last year because I started the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Quilt, which I was determined to have finished before the end of the jubilee year. This was my first bit of free motion quilting for a proper quilt. Each block has a cotton fabric with gold detail for the teapot, a pretty print for the tablecloth, and a plain neutral for the background. This is the same appliqué that I used for the tea cosy that I made a few weeks ago.
The tablecloths are quilted with straight line diagonals, done on the 1927 Singer 99K hand machine, and the backgrounds are free motion quilted with the 1945 Singer 15K treadle. When I got the blocks out today I was toying with the idea of doing a different free motion pattern on the blocks I have yet to quilt. Then I decided that I would prefer a bit of consistency, so I will probably quilt the remaining blocks in the same way. I realised that I have a load of material in a box that will be ideal for practising other patterns on.
Most of the pots have the handle on the right, which looks more natural to me because I am right handed, but I have a few with the handle on the left so left handers too can feel the urge to grab the pot and start pouring. I absolutely love the colours and the Tudor roses on this teapot.
On this teapot the shades of pink and orange with grey are exquisite.
It's time I started to work on this quilt again...
This post is being linked up Free Motion Friday on Leah Day's blog so you can visit lots of interesting blogs with some fantastic projects on show.