Saturday 25 October 2014

A Sewing Box from Poland



A moment of mad self indulgence came over me when we were in the market hall in Krakow this summer.  One of the stalls had a mesmerising selection of sewing boxes.  Because I already have sewing boxes with a light stain I went straight for the high gloss dark varnish. 




Then I had to examine the lids and decide which design I liked best.  These flowers and leaves seem to rotate, and they are outlined with an embedded metal inlay.



The curved sides to the compartments and the cream stripes are all so gloriously unnecessary. There is nothing quite like decoration for its own sake - reminiscent of many of the buildings nearby.  
The box is now filled with all my stranded cotton embroidery threads.  With a bit of luck keeping them in separate compartments will prevent them ending up in one great almighty tangle.  They can become five smaller tangles instead.

Welcome to Maria, the latest follower - thank you for joining!


3 comments:

  1. Muv....this is just lovely! The design is so pretty. Perfect addition :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- this is really lovely! A very striking piece. I'd sew from it! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, what an eye-catcher! Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to collect them.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...