Wednesday 22 October 2014

Sewing Stems


Finally I have started work on the big quilt that has been lurking in my head for some time. The first step in sewing the central panel has been sewing some stems, using my favourite method - some lying parallel to each other and branching away...



and other stems actually branching out.  There isn't much colour yet, that will come later, but I find this shade of pale brown strangely relaxing.  I could never work out why until the day I suddenly realised that this the shade I like my tea, with just the right amount of milk.

Linking up with Esther's blog for WOW = WIPs on Wednesdays

7 comments:

  1. Are you only sewing down one side of your branches? It appears as tho you sort of wrap the fabric over on itself and only sew down one side. Yes, No ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jacqueline,

      The first side is machine stitched, the second side hand stitched. The hand stitching isn't finished yet. Follow the link in the post and you will find the method explained.

      Love, Muv

      Delete
  2. I never saw that technique before. I can see how much faster it is compared to sewing both edges by hand. I'm glad I stopped here today and learned about it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I am going to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did my comment come through? It didn't show up.... (So if this is a duplicate, feel free to delete it, please.)

    Your stitches are so evenly spaced and so tiny. Just perfect. I've seen this method of sewing stems before but never in person or in a photograph. I have always avoided stems and vines because they seem to tedious but perhaps I will give this method a try. I can't wait to see what you're working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just one comment has come through from you, Nancy.

      This method is surprisingly quick and easy, and because the folded strips are cut on the bias, you can give them a bit of a curve.

      Delete
  5. Looking good, I love seeing how other quilters accomplish these things :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...