Thursday 13 November 2014

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 21 - The Solent


Here is the second 12 x 12 quilt that I have made for the forthcoming show at Midsomer Quilting, because I enjoyed making the first one, In the Fen Country so much.  This seascape is also based on a piece by Vaughan Williams.

I spent a considerable amount of time watching this video on Youtube (which for some reason I cannot get to embed in this post) enjoying the music and the paintings.  The image that really caught my eye was this painting of The Needles on the Isle of Wight by Norman Wilkinson



Rather than doing fluffy summery clouds this time, I decided to have a go at glowering low grey clouds, complete with downpour.  The cloud on the left is perhaps a little too heavy...





... and I prefer this one.





The trickiest part of the whole picture was the distant grey coastline.  I had to go over it several times, piling one layer of thread over another to get the colours right.  Also, when I started work on the cliffs I had no white thread, only variegated neutrals, so I did an extra layer of white at the headland to give better contrast with the pale grey of the distant shoreline.  While I was busy piling on the colour I forgot about the back, which has such a stack of bobbin thread concentrated in one small area that this quilt could be turned over to double up as a relief map of the foothills of the Andes.




Adding the hand stitched detail at the end was far less of a tussle.  The white sails of the yachts have enough layers of stitches to give them a slight 3D effect...




... and the three birds in the sky took only a matter of minutes to sew.




So here it is hanging on the wall above the 1934 Singer 128K, which is the machine I used to put on the binding.  All the free motion quilting was done on the 1945 Singer 15K treadle.


blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg

Here goes for week 21...

Firstly, many thanks to  MaartjeHilaryGwyned and Mardi for linking up last time  - a great collection of projects.  

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far bloggers from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany and Holland have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Welcome to Grit, the latest follower - thank you for joining!

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday
and Lorna's blog Sew Fresh Quilts for Let's Bee Social
and Connie's blog Freemotion by the River for Linky Tuesday

19 comments:

  1. Congratss with your finish. It is beautiful. I like the adding of the boats and birds. It is a beaty on your wall. Thanks for the inspiration.

    Love from Amsterdam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maartje! I was a bit worried it might just turn out as a load of wishy washy blue, but it worked in the end.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I love your sailboats! My eyes were instantly drawn to them. I'm amazed at how you managed to make them with the two different threads (am I right about the number of colors you used?). They really look like boats on the horizon line, color washed by a rainy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you France! Yes, I used just two colours for the boats, white and grey. Had I not spent an age gazing at the painting I wouldn't have been able to do it, because it gave me not just the colours but the right scale too.

      Delete
  3. This is a fantastic bit of thread painting and a lovely landscape. I am very impressed with your close line quilting - and it is so effective! Hope the show goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary. It is going to be an interesting show - over 200 12 x 12s!

      Delete
  4. Hi Muv - Just love your work. First thing every Friday is grab a cup of coffee and log on to your blog to see what you have been up to for the week. - Alice in Texas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alice, you made me smile today! I shall raise my morning coffee mug to you tomorrow morning.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  5. Dear Muv, Oh wow, oh wow, oh wow...I am loving this. I could (and would) stare at it for hours. That's hilarious about the bobbin thread. Just before I read that I wondered how in the world you keep going over areas without breaking thread! Is it the thread, I wonder or the needle...or both? Anyway, wonderful job.
    Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it, Linda!
      I fully expected the thread to break any minute, but it didn't. It's strong stuff. As for the needle, I haven't changed it for months. It's probably blunt as anything.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
    2. Can you share what weight and type thread it is? I'm not sure my 40 wt. poly would stand up to that much buildup.

      Delete
    3. Gutermann Sulky Cotton 30 - just look at all these gorgeous variegated colours...

      http://www.barnyarns.co.uk/variegated-shades/

      Delete
    4. Wouldn't you know, it's one I haven't bought! (Yet). Gorgeous indeed, and maybe, since you're using them in your treadle machine, they would behave well in the Singer 403 and 503. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I love the subtle colors you were able to get with thread. Lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your work is GORGEOUS! I could stare at that for hours - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen - and a big welcome to you, you are the first person to link up from New Zealand!

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful piece and it looks perfect above the old sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is most impressive! It makes such a beautiful and peaceful scene to look at and dream a little over. Muv, I think I know you from The Quilting Board... yes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lara. Yes, it's been a while since I have been on QB. All this blogging takes up the time...

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...