Friday 26 September 2014

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 14 - Home Again!


Somehow I always end up doing leaves if I want to fill up space quickly.These leaves were done about a fortnight ago.



I was a bit doubtful about doing the leaves over the pieced strip because I thought they wouldn't show up very well, but with the variegated thread in strongly contrasting colours, I rather enjoyed doing them and quite like the finished effect.  I like the timelessness of this leaf design.



Just to demonstrate how timeless, here is a photo of a detail of the embroidery on some old liturgical vestments that I saw on display in Spain a few days ago.


                                                      blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg

So here goes for week 14...

Firstly, many thanks to  AlisonHilaryGwyned, P., Dona and Zenia Rene for linking up last time  - a great collection of projects.  Also, special thanks to Zenia Rene for joining as a follower!

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far bloggers from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany and Holland have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday


5 comments:

  1. Welcome back. Thank you Muv. Your leaves are quite lovely! I haven't even practiced FMQ in a week! I need to get back on it. Oh, I sent you an email. Please check it and get back to me Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trip. I think it might be a few days before I get anywhere near a sewing machine again...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful leaves! I love the way they look over the piecing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Muv, you have probably addressed this question before, but either I missed it or have forgotten...do you draw your lines, or just start stitching and 'wing it' all the way? Either way, whether you are drawing or stitching, the flow is so graceful that it appears to be second nature for you. And I just remembered...you're doing this on a treadle machine. Incredible! So glad you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Linda,

      I just wing it. It's the only way that works for me. Once I have worked out how to do the design - just a quick scribble on paper to try out the route for an individual leaf - then I get going with the machine.

      And Spain was totally fab.

      Love, Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...