Thursday 24 July 2014

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 8 - Black Bryony


This is as far as I got today.  Treadling in a temperature of 80 degrees, wearing fetching pink gloves, I ended up absolutely blinking baking, so I was quite glad that the bobbin thread ran out - the last of the colour I needed.  It was time for a tea break anyway.



The design is based on black bryony.  The inspiration came a couple of days ago when I was hacking brambles out of the hedge and I pulled out a yard of black bryony that had been tangled up in the branches.  The berries turn bright red in the autumn, but at the moment they are bright green. In real life the berries are clustered around the main stem, looking like necklaces festooned in the hedgerow, but I have had to take a botanical liberty and put them on sprigs so I can fill the space.  



The leaves are heart shaped and a beautiful deep glossy green.

It is a shame I didn't have my camera with me when I was hacking about in the hedge, but it's nice putting links to a couple of blogs with photos of black bryony at different times of the year. 



When I was taking these photos today I remembered that I keep meaning to devise a design based on the leaves and flowers on the faceplate of the machine.

Many thanks to Jessim, Vicki, Gina, Hilary, Gwyned, Kathi and Cynthia who all linked up last week, showing a great variety of projects.

So here goes for week 8...

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  .
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far bloggers from USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany and Holland have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week!

Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday

10 comments:

  1. This is a lovely motif Muv - and as for the sewing machine - what can I say? They don't make them like that any more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary!

      The machine - well I could get myself a brand new one if I moved to India...
      http://www.singerindia.net/straight_Stich.aspx?id=1

      ... all I'd need to do is stick it a treadle base and I'd be away!

      Delete
  2. I am from RSA, but I don't blog, so I can't do the linky thing, but I just wanted to tell you - I am truly amazed at what you can do with a treadle! You are very inspiring! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Muis Huismuis!
      Treadles are great old workhorses, you can do just about anything with them.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  3. Lovely work, thanks for the invitation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delighted to see you and your hedgehog here, Celine!

      Delete
  4. What a stunning interpretation of black bryony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwyned. I have realised that FMQ for me is plants, plants and more plants. I am really enjoying this link up and seeing how people develop their own approaches to FMQ

      Delete
  5. What a great site - just found you. What sort of machine is that? I am running a FMQAL at the moment so hope you don't mind me linking up and sending some people your way for ideas. I will put a button on as soon as I can get to a real computer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laura,

      Thank you for linking up! All the best with the quilt-along. It would be great if you sent people over for ideas - that's what it's all about, sharing the inspiration.

      The machine is a 1945 Singer 15K treadle. If you look at last week's link up you will see a video of it in action, and also go to this post and you will find a Youtube video of it:-
      http://lizzielenard-vintagesewing.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/treadling-like-blazes.html

      Love, Muv

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...