Saturday 16 September 2017

How To Knit A Flower


Suddenly my life has been filled with flowers.  Knitted ones.  They are the perfect addition to the twiddle blankets I have been making, and a great way to use up small left over balls of wool.

This flower measures three and three quarter inches across.  Because I wanted a sturdy and firm finish, I used a double strand of double knitting yarn on 4mm needles (no. 8 in the old sizes).  Knit stitch is used throughout.

To give the petals neat edges, I use the cable method of casting on (shown on an excellent video here), and at the beginning of each row I slip a stitch knitwise with the yarn at the back of the work (shown here)

)

Cast on 9 stitches, and leave a tail of yarn hanging which will be used later for sewing the flower onto the finished item. 

Knit 8 stitches, leaving the last stitch on the left hand needle.  This is the only row where the first stitch is not slipped.


Turn, ready for the next row.


Slip the first stitch...


...and knit to the end of the row.


Turn, slip the first stitch...


...and knit 6 stitches, leaving 2 on the left hand needle.


Turn, slip one stitch, and knit to the end of the row.


Turn, slip one, knit 5 stitches, and leave 3 on the left hand needle.

This is the idea - the centre of the flower is on the left, where the tail is hanging from the casting on.  The outer edge of the flower is on the right.  Each time you knit towards the centre you leave one more stitch on the left hand needle.


Keep on going, until you only need to slip one, knit one, and leave 7 stitches on the left hand needle.


Turn, and knit your shortest most irritating row ever.  Slip one, knit one.


Turn again, and you have a natty little triangle.

Now cast off 8 stitches in the normal way, just making sure you slip the first stitch.


The first petal is finished!  Five more to go.

Leave the last stitch on the right hand needle...


... do not turn, and insert the left hand needle...


...and cast on 8 stitches.  So now there are 9 stitches again, and the whole sequence is repeated...


...to make another petal.


When you have six petals, cast off completely.


Use the tails from the beginning and end of the work to link the first with the last petal and gather in the centre...


...and also to stitch the flower securely to the main item.  All it needs now is a button in the middle.

Job done, and guaranteed addictive.

Linking up with Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday.

30 comments:

  1. What a beautiful flower! I don't knit but....your directions and photos are very clear. I am sure it would be very easy for a knitter to make one....or two of these! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that, I'm only a beginner in knitting, but I bet I could do that! I will try when I'm recovered from some wrist surgery I had yesterday...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wishing you a speedy recovery - wrist surgery sounds like a knitter's nightmare.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  3. Thanks but it looks too hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not hard at all. Find a knitting friend and do it together.

      Delete
  4. Muv... it's not working will try again in daylight
    Maybe I missed something

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep trying, you can do it. Concentrate on which side is the centre of the flower. When you cast on, the flower centre is on the left, where the tail is hanging. This is where you leave the stitches on the needle, one more each time, and turn and knit back the way you came.

      Delete
  5. It is a beautiful flower....Instructions and the photos can motivate any knitter to try! Thanks a lot....i am on my fourth petal:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. … So you must have finished by now!
      Glad you have enjoyed knitting this flower.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  6. Thank you for the pattern, I am not a great knitter but will give it a try. This is wonderful. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have added your pattern and easy to follow instruction, for beginners like me to my Book marks and am sure to use it very soon.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy knitting your first flower!

      Delete
    2. These are a beautiful addition to the dolls' cot blankets I am knitting.
      They are for a Special Needs school, where my daughter works. I'm sure they will love them. Thank you.

      Delete
    3. Hello Anonymous,
      So pleased to hear you are enjoying putting these flowers on dolls' blankets and hope they are a big hit at the school!
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  8. I love this flower! Is there anywhere I can download the pattern without pictures? Thank you
    Roze

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Roze,
      Glad you like the flower! Why not just type the text out and keep it on your own computer or phone?

      Delete
  9. Beautiful,just what i was looking for .thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Preciosa flor. He tejido chalinas con el método de vueltas cortas, ahora gracias al tutorial haré esas lindas flores. Gracias por compartir!. Me encanta!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you for the flower pattern!
    It will certainly add that touch of class to my granddaughters hats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wonderful! I hope she loves her flowers!

      Delete
  12. Am making some for a small bouquet for a friend recovering from Coved. Bet she will lovd them and they will surely brighten up her room. Thank you for sharing the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what fun, a knitted bouquet! I hope it cheers up your friend.

      Delete
  13. Thank you for your free pattern I am a pensioner with a disability and need to excercise my fingers. I am on a waiting list for a carpal tunnel op on both hands so excercising by knitting small things and donating the to a home for single girls that.s pregnant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy knitting these flowers and don't have to wait too long for your operation.

      Delete
  14. I knit hats for newborns at our hospital and love adding flowers to the little girls' hats. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely flower... I enjoyed the knitting. Sounds quite easy according to your instructions n video. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Comment from Sarah Wagana - "I love the simplicity of the pattern of the pattern. I amgointootryit soon."

    Thank you Sarah! I haven't published your original comment because it contained your email address.

    I hope all goes well with knitting the flower!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have been looking for a flower pattern to knit flowers for twiddle bags this great and so easy

    ReplyDelete
  18. Just finished one, 7 petals tho, to make fuller. So pretty. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...