Thursday 1 October 2015

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 63 - Time for Some Red



                         
Ever got fed up of blue?  I have.  This week's theme has been red, starting with a variation on last week's tea time crib quilt.


There are tea pots, jam pots and tea cups in the dark frame around the centre...


... and the beige and greys in the paler frames are livened up with pieces of a very subdued floral print.

For some reason the combination of prints was difficult to quilt.  I kept losing track of where I had been when doing the meandering, in particular on the red, cream and blue border print.


Strawberries made an appearance in the binding...


... and the backing features the twelve days of Christmas, so there are plenty of little pictures for a baby to inspect.


Meanwhile, there has been progress with the free motion landscape, which now has a big red orb in the sky, which I stitched before I saw...


...this big red orb in the sky - the blood moon!  We had a completely cloudless night, so I stayed up to 3 am and watched a truly marvellous spectacle and took loads of fuzzy pictures.  It was the first (and will probably be the last) time I have seen the moon turn an amazing shade of deep salmon pink.


blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg


Here goes for week 63..


Many thanks to everyone who linked up last week to show their free motion quilting projects.

The pictures in Week 62 that really caught my eye were these ankle boots by Maartje.  I have been following her paper piecing patterns coming together and was looking forward to seeing how they would look once free motion quilted.  If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more photos.




If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.
Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.

So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France and Macau have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.


Linking up with Kelly's blog My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday
and Michelle's Romantic Tangle for Let's Make Baby Quilts
and Sarah's blog Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Nina Marie's blog Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever for Off The Wall Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

9 comments:

  1. Gosh, yes I've gotten sick of working with a given color!! And I've even gotten sick to death of blue, which is my very favorite. :) The red moon you quilted in is cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to punish myself I have made another blue quilt sandwich. I'm happier with reddish colours, and pink - any shade but Barbie and bubble gum.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit that blue is not one of my favorite colors. As a matter of fact, I had to force myself to do a quilt with blue in it just to reduce my blue stack. Now red...now that's my color! Funny how colors affect us, isn't it? Sweet finish to your little red quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No FMQ this week - helping family move. Your red orb is cool! I love the cot quilt. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you had that moon in your consciousness before it even showed up...that's awesome. Love the crib quilt, and you are so right about little pictures for a baby to inspect...Lucy examines things on quilts very closely, and very obviously gravitates toward certain colors. Love your fabrics, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh the moon shot... delicious. I went out at midnight and watched by myself a bit since dh and poodle went to bed. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really like your free motion landscape--very exciting!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, neat that you stitched that moon before you saw it. I'm envious of your opportunity to view the blood moon. We were on vacation and were looking forward to seeing it; alas, the clouds move in... So I will have to be content with your picture.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...