Thursday 8 December 2016

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 118 - Creation Day One


It's all about capturing the essence - at least, that's what I tell myself. 

After grappling with Day Three of Creation (not for sale) for the exhibition at Midsomer Quilting, I made a second quilt to put into their charity auction.  There were only four days left until the deadline for delivering the quilts to the shop, so I had to dream up a way of representing a momentous event in bits of cloth and ribbon within a 12 inch square.  How could I depict light bursting forth from the darkness?  With gauze ribbon - how else?

The finished effect is a bit of a laugh.  Astrophysics meets the Pony Club.


I quite like the 3D effect, with the explosion of light firing out beyond the binding.


Little mother of pearl stars and glass beads in the centre catch the light.  This is the only quilt I have ever made that looks better in a photo taken with flash than without.  You can see how the gauze ribbon glistens.


The quilting is pretty basic, just a free motion swirl out to the edge.  The lengths of ribbon all emerge from buttonholes at the centre, explode across the quilt, and then disappear under the binding.

I hope someone makes a bid for it in the auction.  It will certainly brighten up their wall!



blogbutton photo peacockfmq025_zpse5bceb10.jpg



Here goes for week 118...


A big vote of thanks to Yanicka for linking up last week with her beautiful birds quilt.   If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and have a closer look.






If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post and/or grab the linky button for your blog's sidebar.
  
3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for four days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Monday.


So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia, Ireland and Brazil have taken part.  The first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

Linking up to Sarah's blog Confessions of A Fabric Addict for Whoop Whoop Friday
and Nina Marie's blog Creations... Quilts, Art... Whatever for Off The Wall Friday
and Amanda Jean's blog Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.



6 comments:

  1. What a unique quilt! I hope it does well in the auction. Great idea hiding those ends through a button hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cynthia. If nobody bids I won't mind buying it back. I hated it at one point and then it started to grow on me.

      Delete
  2. Awwww thank you so much!!!!! A 3D quilt is on my to do list!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd bid on it if I was there. You've captured a galaxy forming, and so colorfully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool piece, Muv! I love how it sparkles and shines. I wondered what you were going to do with buttonholes and no buttons :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this quilt! I have magpie tendencies, so the bling, glistening ribbon, and sparkle make this quilt special. I hope there is a bidding war when your quilt comes up for auction.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...