Friday 21 June 2019

Houses in the Distance



Stitching houses on a tiny scale can be extremely tricky.  I needed to start with some landmarks in the landscape, so first I stitched the roofs, then the walls.

As I am working from a photograph of a scene only ten minutes' walk from our house, I am trying to keep as close to reality as I can in the face of obvious limitations.  

The thread colours cannot convey the subtlety of the different shades of green, so I am mixing threads in the hope that the eye will mix the colours to the right shade when standing a few feet away.  This carries the risk of puckering the material and overworking small areas while the greater part of the landscape is still blank.


I have already managed to overwork the larger house on the left.  On the photo the white walls stand out, so I thought stitching them in white would be the best approach.  It wasn't.


I should have left the walls blank, as I did with the smaller house.  Now I know.





Free Motion Mavericks this week is at Andrée's blog Quilting and Learning and I'm linking up!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Muv, that's a great start! Yes, I agree that the blank houses are best. It really is about learning from experience :-) Good luck with your project. Looking forward to seeing it develop.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...