Wednesday 26 February 2020

The Marmalade Season


The New Year brings the annual crop of Seville oranges from Spain, and I have been busy making marmalade and experimenting with flavours.  It has been the ideal pastime for the dreary months after Christmas, when it is too wet and muddy to get on with outdoor jobs.



So I have spent a lot of time in the kitchen.  Even though I have been making marmalade for years, there is always a niggling doubt when boiling it up.  Will it set, or won't it?  Some marmalades take longer than others, especially when mixing Seville oranges with other types of citrus.


Each batch is different.  I always add something by way of spice, and a bit of alcohol at the end.  The rose and pomegranate gin could be my ruin.



Now that the Seville oranges are over, my favourite alternative for making marmalade is red grapefruit.  If you have never made marmalade before, why not give it a try?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Muv, that marmalade looks great. Thanks for sharing your video with us. It looks fairly easy. I may have to give it a try one day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the jelly version, while the lime is my favourite (also jelly version) but the smell is so yummy. When we bought our last house, the owner was making marmalade. Husband now has pre-diabetes (only just - he's been doing well to drop it down into the safe zone) so all the jams he's made in the past have to be eaten in extreme moderation - or I have a lot to get through! That's including having given most to the family! Nothing like home cooked preserves. :D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...