Going through my stash last month I came across this piece of material, which has been sitting in the cupboard for a few years waiting for its time to come. I used it as a test piece a few years ago to try out a gathering foot (which didn't work - the gathers were inconsistent) so I rammed it back in the cupboard and forgot about it.
Earlier this week I spent an afternoon carefully unpicking five lines of machined gathering so I could start a project.
I have long wanted to make a little girl's dress with tucks, where the tucks are sewn first and then the pattern piece cut out afterwards. However, the design of this material worked better with pleats, because I could keep the white grid, but hide the columns of empty squares in a pleat and end up with horizontal rows of cherries.
The paper pattern is ready, prepared from this outrageously complicated sheet from a pattern book I bought in Spain.
Having started this little dress, now I have to stop.
A fortnight ago we had an eventful morning. A rather large patch of ceiling plaster fell down, landing on my husband's chair by the table. He was in the adjacent room, and I was upstairs, so there was no blood, just dust. Next week we are expecting the plasterer, and shall have to empty the whole room. We are in for a chaotic few days. So no sewing for a while. I shall be in the front room with my knitting and surrounded by cardboard boxes.