Thursday 4 November 2021

Free Motion Mavericks - Week 354 - Sugar Roses


As you can imagine, and as those of you have been Mother of the Bride already know, it takes a while to come back to earth after a wedding.  First and foremost you need a rest, time to catch up with friends, and then there are jobs that have to be done.  I have taken The Dress to the dry cleaners, and when we get reliable weather I shall have to hand wash the bolero jacket and dry it outside.  The veil could do with a gentle wash too, as could the underskirt.  I think I'll be brave with the underskirt and shove it in the washing machine.  It's either that or the bath.  Unfortunately we have really bad drying weather at the moment.  I had washing hanging out all day earlier this week, and I swear it was damper when it came in than when I put it out, and it hadn't even rained.

A more colourful job I have ahead of me is sorting out how to keep the sugar flowers that went on top of the wedding cake.  As you can see, they are far too beautiful to eat.  The cake was made by Donna, who was recommended to us by a friend, and as you can see on her website, her cakes are absolutely amazing.  I asked her to make some flowers to go on top of the cake, and sent her photos of flowers that were going to be used in the bouquet so she could aim for matching colours.  She did a fantastic job, even making tiny little yellow tansies, a flower she had never made before.  If stored properly the sugar flowers should last for years.  I have managed to buy a display dome that I hope will be suitable, and I shall have to work out the best way to arrange the flowers.  Lets hope I don't break them!

As for sewing, I have picked up a needle again, at long last.  After doing some repair jobs on clothes, I am now finishing off a dress that I started over five years ago.  All I need to do is stitch the hem and bind the armholes.  Then I can start on the wedding quilt!

Now for the linky.  Next week I shall be hosting the linky here - it's Andrée's turn to have a week off.


 

Here goes for Week 354:-


Many thanks to Kathleen for linking up last time to show her Alpha Animals quilt.  If you haven't seen her blog post yet, nip over now and see more.

 




If you have no free motion quilting to show, feel free to link up and show any project you like.  Here are the usual rules, but feel free to ignore them.  To keep the original emphasis, however, preference will be given to free motion quilting when featuring projects from the previous week.

If you love free motion quilting, whether you are a beginner just taking the plunge, or you have reached the stage where you can do ostrich feathers with your eyes shut and still achieve perfect symmetry, then please link up.

Remember, FMQ is FMQ, whether your machine was made last week, or it is older than your granny.

Here are the very easy and slightly elastic rules:-

1.  Link up with any recent post, ideally from the last week but within the last month, which features a free motion quilting project, whether it is a work in progress or a finish.

2.  Link back to this post in your own post.

3.  Visit as many of the other participants as possible and say hello in the comments box.

4.  The link up will remain open for five days, from midnight to midnight GMT for the long weekend, Friday to Tuesday.


So far quilters from the USA, England, Wales, Australia, Canada, Germany, Holland, New Zealand, France, Macau, Russia, Ireland, Brazil and Sweden have taken part.  The 
first participant from each new country will get a special mention the following week.

6 comments:

  1. Many thanks for the feature! I can't imagine being mother of the bride....what a job it must be. My son is not very demanding, but I am sure there will be demands on me...if that day ever happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love your quilt, Kathleen!
      Yes, it's certainly an experience, being MoB, and totally worth all the effort put into it.
      Nothing wrong in dropping a hint or two in your son's direction. Don't tell him I said so.
      Love, Muv

      Delete
  2. Yes, far too good to eat as they are so pretty. I still have some sugar flowers salvaged from our wedding, little yellow buttercups! So that was almost 40 years ago, so hopefully your roses will last long enough for the great grandchildren to see! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny, we had little yellow flowers on our wedding cake too! They looked more like primroses than buttercups. We managed to keep the top tier for our son's christening, and kept the flowers for a few years after that, until they fell apart. Amazing that you still have your flowers after all those years!

      Delete
  3. Hi Muv, those are really beautiful flowers and I can see why you would want to keep them (personally I would have taken pictures and eaten them, but when it comes to food, better eaten then not! lol) Good luck with your dress. I can't wait to hear about the quilt. Thanks for hosting next week - take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Andrée, yes, it's tempting to eat them just to prove they're edible.
      The quilt - perhaps I need a colour consultation with the newlyweds? Or shall I just make it and surprise them? We shall see.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...