Wednesday 20 November 2013

An Unplanned Pleat


Sometimes, when you finish a piece of free motion quilting and turn the work over, there is a little surprise to jump out at you from the back.  For instance, this little pleat in the border of a doll quilt. This is not quite so annoying as an unplanned fold - there is no unpicking involved if the pleat isn't too drastic.



On close inspection there was also another tiny little fold further away from the edge.



All it needed was a few stitches to make it lie flat.  Once the binding was on it was barely noticeable.  At least, that is what I told myself.  Whether my swap partner agrees is another matter. Now that this quilt has crossed the Atlantic and is with its new owner, she has my full permission to show it to her friends as an example of quilter's fudging.

Welcome to Capi, the latest follower - thank you for joining!

3 comments:

  1. If everything were perfect, it wouldn't be handmade! Nice fix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan! I must get round to showing the front...

      Delete
  2. I once had a Native American lady teach me beading. She said it was important to include a "flaw" in a project, as you pour your spirit (soul) into a project. The flaw allows for your spirit to escape. Since that time whenever I make something I ensure there is a small mistake to honor her for sharing her craft and wisdom.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...