Friday 28 December 2012

Adjusting the Bobbin Winder on the Singer 99K


This is my Singer 99K.  Other models have the same bobbin winder, the Singer 66 and some class 15s.

Recently the tyre hasn't been making good contact with the wheel when I have been winding bobbins.  I have been being lazy and just pressing it rather than walking across the room to get the screwdriver.  I have finally fixed it today and it took me all of twelve seconds.

It is the big screw at the top left of the picture that needs to be loosened and the metal bracket it holds in place needs to be repositioned by a fraction.  To find the right position, press the bobbin winder so that the tyre makes good contact with the wheel, then tighten the screw.

The irritating part of this job is that the screw is tucked into a fairly tight space, not giving an awful lot of room for your screwdriver to get at it.  This shouldn't be too much of a problem if the screw isn't gummed up or jammed too tight.



If you can't get the screw to move, you can take off the belt guard, to which the bobbin winder is attached.  To do this you take out the screw on the left in the picture above, and the whole component can be taken off.  Once the adjustment screw is freed up, put the belt guard back on and make the adjustment with the bobbin winder in place.

It really is that simple.

  

8 comments:

  1. Hello, this post is over a year old but I'm having problems with my winder.
    Even after I have loosened the screw and adjusted the bracket, as shown in the manual, a brand new tyre is still barely making contact with the shoulder of the wheel.
    To wind the bobbin I have to keep a finger on the winder to maintain pressure.
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Johnny,

      That is a really difficult question to answer without having your machine in front of me... All I can say is just keep on tinkering, and sooner or later you might solve it. I have to confess that with one of my machines I have got into the habit of pushing on the winder to give it the pressure to wind a bobbin, because every time I adjust it it unadjusts itself. Old machines can be a bit cantankerous.

      Good luck!
      Muv

      Delete
  2. Just spent the afternoon trying to sort the same problem out on my singer 99k and success - same 12 seconds!! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. such a helpful editorial, thank u very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really good tutorial.
    I would like to ask for some assistance or guidance.
    I am in Australia and I have a Singer Treadle but am not able to find any info on it, or any video's on how to operate it. It has the following number on it and the EB895240. The cotton spool holder is different to every other machine I have seen online. It is Rectangulat and located in the middle of the top part of the body.
    Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bear,

      Here is the serial number:-

      http://ismacs.net/singer_sewing_machine_company/serial-numbers/singer-eb-series-serial-numbers.html

      … so it is a 1938 Singer 103K,

      pictured here:-

      http://www.needlebar.org/cm/displayimage.php?album=search&cat=0&pid=559#top_display_media

      Delete
  5. Hello,

    Thanks for the great post. Do you know where the 'bobbin winder frame spring sits?'. Had taken my 99k machine apart and this spring is the last thing that I need to install to have it up and running, it is labelled as the part 15286 in the official list of parts document.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No sorry, I can't help you. I'm not a fan of taking things apart unless absolutely necessary.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...