Friday 21 June 2013

Free Motion Experiment - Making it up as I go along


After last week's experiment following the pattern on a printed fabric, I decided that I would try making up a pattern on a plain colour as I went along.  The leaf and flower shapes in the printed fabric had given me a few ideas.



This is what I have done today - three wavy lines which became the central stems of some fanciful leaves and flowers.



These are my favourites.  The first flower I did was to cover a mistake with a leaf, but I liked it so I did some more.

I have come to the conclusion that this is the best approach to free motion quilting for me.  If I have a plan, it doesn't work.  If I just start sewing and see what turns out, the results are better.

Linking up again to Leah Day's blog for Free Motion Friday.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Muv
    It looks like honeysuckle to me - I like it!
    Hugs
    G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just what I thought, Gavin, which is why I was so pleased with it. If I had tried to do honeysuckle, it wouldn't have worked.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, I like that you just went with what felt right, looks really good! Nice how a mistake canbe transformed into something stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marelize. The surprise element has been the most fun about today's quilting.

      Love,
      Muv

      Delete
  3. Oh, how beautiful! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. My FMQ flowers all come out looking like wonky paisley teddy bears. Have a wonderful day!
    Laura Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teddy bears by accident! Oh Laura Jean, what a laugh!

      Muv x

      Delete
  4. You quilting journey is inspiring. I need to try some free form samples - yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...