Friday 23 August 2013

Gold and Purple Pansy Doll Quilt


This is the doll quilt that I sent to my partner Diane in Minnesota, my July partner for the Doll Quilters' Monthly swap.  She told me that she liked purple, and I have been meaning to do a pansy for ages, so here it is!  I posted a photo of the centre of the pansy a little while ago to see if Diane might guess what was coming.



All the straight stitch machining was done with the 1949 Singer 15K hand machine - the detail on the flower, the piecing and the binding.  For the stem I used the method I describe here, and for the outline quilting I used the hand machine with the cording foot attached, also as shown in the previous post here.



The free motion quilting was done on the 1945 Singer 15K treadle.  For the background quilting in the central panel I did my favourite meandering infill.   For the border I did a curving stem with curled back leaves.  Luckily, I didn't run into too much trouble going round the corners, but I'm not too brilliant at stitching over the guideline stitching so the stem is a bit fat in parts.

I really enjoyed this project, and it was lovely to hear from Diane how much she liked it - she took it out into the garden to take photos of it.

This post is being linked with Leah Day's blog for FMQ Friday - lots more projects to see there!

Welcome to the latest followers, Angel Momma and Lizziebeth - thank you for joining!

8 comments:

  1. What a cute little quilt! I really like the border design, and the detail quilting on the pansy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful!! my favorite flower in my favorite color s

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty, I call my prayer quilt ministry at church the PANSIES
    P-praying
    A-always
    N-never
    S-stopping
    I-in
    E-effectual
    S-service

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a weakness for pansies. My Nana told me they were for remembrance. She's right because every time I see one, I think of her. Thank you for sharing your pansy with me today! I love your leaf border. If you don't mind I'm going to try that on my next quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love pansies! It must be fun to do doll quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! I love the pansies! Pansies always remind me of my grandfather who loved them. At his funeral, all the granddaughters sang a children's song called "Little Purple Pansies."

    I really like the quilting pattern you chose for your border. Very fitting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The pansy quilt is displayed in the living room in front of the big windows overlooking the garden. Thank you, again. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...